Alpha Particle is expanding and looking for a Senior WordPress Developer who can take the lead on some of our biggest client projects. This means building and modifying custom themes as well as plugins to fit our client’s needs.
The ideal candidate is in the Chicago area, but remote candidates are welcome. The entire team is currently working remotely, but we will potentially be looking to find office space again in the future. Most of our work happens on Slack, Trello, and Github.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
This role requires a solid foundation in modern front-end development as well as up-to-date knowledge of the WordPress ecosystem and related tooling. You’ll need the ability to make sustainable web development decisions while working both independently and collaboratively.
- Experience with large-scale/enterprise-level WordPress implementations
- WordPress-specific hosting experience (WP Engine, Pantheon, etc)
- Empathy for users and for clients, both of whom may be balancing a sometimes conflicting set of needs. This often means having the empathy to see things from others’ perspectives, even when it may mitigate your vision.
- Ability to take client requests that can be sometimes vague and turn them into technical implementation plans for you or other developers to implement
- Experience communicating with non-technical client stakeholders
Big bonus points for experience with:
- Continuous Integration platforms (especially CircleCI, Buddy, or Travis)
- Testing frameworks / tools (especially Selenium, Browserstack, or Sauce Labs)
- Module bundlers and task runners – Webpack, Rollup, Grunt, Gulp
- Experience receiving and giving code review
- Experience working with sites on WordPress VIP
- Publicly released plugins (on the .org repository or elsewhere)
- Experience tuning WordPress performance. Things like what sorts of DB queries to avoid, when caching is appropriate, etc.
- Competitive salary base pay range $100,000/yr -$120,000/yr
- Blue Cross, Blue Shield health plan, covered 100%
- Vision insurance, including free eye exams every year, plus optical lenses, eyeglass frames, and contact lens coverage plus additional discounts.
- 20 days per year paid vacation + all federal holidays
- Professional development reimbursement (courses, online classes, events) up to $2,000/year
About Alpha Particle
We’re a small but growing consultancy largely focused around making WordPress work for everyone from local Chicago businesses all the way up to clients like RollingStone.com and some of the biggest brands in the world.
We meet our clients where they are. Sometimes that means modernizing a legacy codebase or building a plugin that works with their current site. Sometimes we get to start from scratch and use the latest WordPress has to offer to build them a great front-end and editorial experience. Either way, we use our deep experience in WordPress to work in collaboration with our clients and ensure that they get the best site possible.
Ready to learn more?
If all of the above sounds like something you’re interested in, send us a note to email@example.com with the subject line
Senior WordPress Developer Job and tell us why you think you’d be a good fit. Please include your resume and/or a link to your personal site/GitHub or any other public resource that gives us a good idea of your experience.